Greek Spice Cake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons plus 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Grease 10-in. fluted tube pan with shortening; lightly coat with 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugars, oil, buttermilk, eggs and extracts until well blended. Combine the remaining flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda; gradually beat into the sugar mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Greek Spice Cake
Sort By :
I just made the recipe for second time because it's soooo good. I split the recipe into two pans so we could freeze one. The one that went to the freezer didn't get to freeze because we ate the other one so fast. Jim in Amarillo
The flavor of the cake was very good.
So easy to make and my family loved it. I'm about to make the second one this week.
If the scent of this cake baking could be captured, a person could make a mint. This cake fills the kitchen with the most wonderful aroma while baking, and the best part is that it tastes as good or better. My husband loved this recipe and it is a perfect fall or winter dessert to have just for fun or bring to get togethers. I made the recipe exactly as written and it turned out beautifully. The only thing I didn't do was put on the confectioner sugar b/c my hubby couldn't wait till the cake completely cooled to cut two big slabs. Also, the cake stays moist for a few days after baking which is a huge bonus. Thanks for a GREAT recipe.