Greek Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 4 to 6 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and half of the oregano. Arrange potatoes around chicken; sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining oregano. Pour butter and lemon juice over chicken and potatoes. Add chicken broth to pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 2-2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting frequently with pan drippings.
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without salt): 425 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Nov 27, 2018
This was a 5-rating after using some suggestions from other reviewers: I sprinkled lemon pepper seasoning on the chicken in addition to the oregano and I added garlic to the lemon-butter sauce for enhanced flavoring. I did thicken the sauce for a light gravy. I had a lot of extra mashed potatoes after Thanksgiving, so I did not add the potatoes to the pan this first time. I will use Yukon Gold potatoes from here on since that's our favorite spud! Husband and 2 sons loved this chicken dish!
Dec 1, 2014
Excellent. My kids love this.
May 20, 2012
this is very moset it i add carrots to mine and it make it even more better
Apr 20, 2012
I started using the juice of one fresh lemon, and then put the lemon halves inside the chicken while roasting. It really adds extra flavor to the breast meat, which I use to make chicken salad. I'm going to add the garlic like jayho127 suggested next time.
Oct 25, 2011
I thought this was a little bland. I will make it again because the hint of flavor was very good. Next time I will add more lemon and pepper, or use a lemon pepper seasoning. I love that combination. My husband and son felt the same way.
Apr 3, 2011
I add a few minced cloves of garlic to the butter/lemon sauce and it really tastes great!
Nov 24, 2010
We love this recipe. The lemon and oregano are wonderful together, and they make the gravy extra special. After the first several times, I cut down on the butter, using just enough to rub on the skin to make it crispy. I use Yukon Gold potatoes, and I don't peel them since the skin is so thin. Excellent!
May 30, 2010
Super easy and very moist and tasty!
Feb 15, 2010
This was wonderful, especially the very flavorful potatoes. I just added a green vegetable and had a complete meal, along with leftover chicken for another recipe. I will definitely make this again.
Feb 23, 2009
This chicken was delicious! The whole family loved it. I did add extra broth so there was extra juice.