Greek Holiday Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 6-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add 2 eggs; beat well. Beat in orange juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Shape each into a 6-in. rope; fold in half and twist twice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining eggs; brush over dough. Bake at 350° for 7-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 each: 157 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 3, 2018
These are delicious! They are exactly how my grandma and her friends make them, and they're from Greece! Sprinkle sesame seeds over them and they're even BETTER! Also, these should be crumbly like make a mess crumbly, not soft, so I don't know what diannacrock is talking about. Also, the name in Greek is koulourakia.
Feb 17, 2018
They look more like rolls than cookies, but they are delicious.
Dec 23, 2011
My husband is Greek and LOVES when his grandmother makes these. I tried out this recipe for him - VERY pleased with the results; he said they're just as good as hers! I put a little red and green sprinkle-sugar on the before baking (just like Yia Yia does), since I made them for Christmas. Cookies are not too sweet, kind of like a shortbread but not as hard/dry.
Oct 13, 2009
I love these cookies!! They are best right from the oven. I use real butter with these. They are a soft cookie and will stay that way.