Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pound butter, melted, divided
- 2 packages (16 ounces each, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon or orange peel
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and cloves; set aside. Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll one package of phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Discard scraps.
- Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter. Repeat layers 14 times. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.)
- Spread with 2 cups walnut mixture. Top with five layers of phyllo dough, brushing with butter between each sheet. Spread with remaining walnut mixture. Top with one layer of phyllo dough; brush with butter. Repeat 14 times. Cut into 2-1/2-in. squares; cut each square in half diagonally. Brush remaining butter over top. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, bring the syrup ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and discard peel; cool to lukewarm. Pour syrup over warm baklava.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 271 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 17, 2015
The syrup receipes quantities was wrong.When made as written it made the Baklava much to soupy after it had stood over night.Good otherwise.
Dec 30, 2013
The nut proportion was incredibly high. Maybe subbing in something else such as coconut or what you like could balance it a bit. Also, would make a note about adding honey after allowing the simmered sauce to cool below a temp before adding that will allow honey's natural healthful properties to thrive. Boiling kills much of it, other than its sweetness.The syrup amount looked about twice as much as needed for a 10 by 14 pan's worth of food.
Feb 24, 2012
I've never written a review for anything, but this was so good that I had to review it. This is by far the best Baklava I've ever had. It helps to have to people making it. One to lay the phyllo in the pan and one to butter the phyllo. I've been asked to take this many places! Make it exactly as written and you won't be disappointed.
Sep 26, 2011
The only thing I would change is that I would cut the sryup in half. It made my baklava juciy on the botton and I let it sit over night. It was to much.
Aug 10, 2010
LOVE this recipe!!! You don't think that baklava would be easy to make but this is fairly simple, time consuming maybe because of all the buttery layers, but it is so worth it!!!!
Dec 21, 2009
I would definitely make this recipe over and over! I have made 3 times and every time it's a hit! I think the time is a little off though. It takes me about 2 - 2.5 hours because of buttering every layer of phyllo dough, but it's well worth it!