Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- 1 pound finely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (12 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Butter a 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Unroll one package of phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2x9-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Discard scraps.
- Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter. Repeat layers 8 times. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.)
- In a large bowl, combine the nuts, chocolate chips, sugar, cinnamon and lemon peel. Sprinkle 2 cups over top layer of phyllo.
- Top with four layers phyllo dough, buttering each layer. Top with 2 or more cups nut mixture. Top with four layers phyllo dough, buttering each layer; top with remaining nut mixture. Top with the remaining phyllo dough, brushing each layer with butter. Drizzle any remaining butter over top.
- Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into 1-1/2-in. diamonds. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, combine the syrup ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 186 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 2, 2017
I make this almost every Christmas and it's always a hit with family and friends! Love it!
Dec 1, 2013
I see all 5 star reviews and i'm dumb founded. I was NOT impressed with this recipe. I've done other baklava recipes w/no problems. I bake and cook quite a bit. I found this recipe to be a complete disaster. It is the first and only TofH recipe I've ever been displeased with. Its a very expensive recipe to be so unhappy with.
Nov 20, 2013
Made this for my bunco group and it was a hit! Will be making again for a company work function. Love it!!
Jun 30, 2013
I have made this several times, and it is absolutely delicious. The prep has several steps, but is definitely easy and well worth it.
Feb 6, 2013
I made this for my son's Greek feast in History. The kids loved it! It is expensive to make with a pound of walnuts. I did cut the butter down to a cup. I buttered every other layer and it didn't get too greasy. It was perfect!
Jan 3, 2012
People tell me that it is the best baklava they have ever eaten.
Dec 17, 2009
This is the most awesome baklava recipe I have made. It always gets rave reviews every time I make it.