Baklava with Honey Syrup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14x9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer two sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, spritz with cooking spray. Repeat three times. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons nuts. Top with two sheets of phyllo and spritz with cooking spray. Repeat layering with nuts, phyllo and cooking spray 10 times. Top with remaining phyllo dough, spritzing every other sheet with cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 30 triangles. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 136 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 6, 2015
The syrup is not enough to cover the dough... I think it is missing water! Normally a baklava syrup includes 3/4 cup of water. I had to remake the syrup and finally ended up using the syrup recipe that I already had.3/4 cup sugar3/4 cup water1/3 cup honey2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice2 teaspoons cinnamon