Baklava Cheesecake Tarts
I love the sticky honey syrup, spices, nuts and crispy phyllo of homemade baklava but don’t want the fuss of preparing it in the traditional way. These easy-to-make cups offer all of the classic flavors and textures in the form of little cheesecakes. —Laura Curtis, Hoboken, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons rosewater, optional
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 18 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pistachios, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, flour and rosewater if desired; beat on low speed just until combined. Set aside.
- Using two 12-cup muffin tins, brush 12 alternating cups with butter. Layer six sheets of phyllo dough on a work surface, brushing each with butter. Cut stacked phyllo in half widthwise, then cut in half lengthwise. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Carefully place each stack in a greased muffin cup, rotating sheets so corners do not overlap. Repeat twice with remaining phyllo dough and butter making 12 tarts.
- Fill each with a scant 1/4 cup cheesecake mixture. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until tarts are golden brown and crisp and filling is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and honey; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cool. Spoon over tarts just before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Originally published as Baklava Cheesecake Cups in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.