Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 package (16 ounces) shelled walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14x9-inch sheets) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 to 2 dried chipotle chilies, split lengthwise in half
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, combine the first five ingredients; pulse until walnuts are finely chopped. Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer three sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup walnut mixture. Repeat layers 11 times. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Cut into 36 triangles. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain syrup through a fine mesh strainer; discard chilies and cinnamon sticks. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and let stand several hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 258 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 25, 2013
This is a fantastic recipe. The chipotle gives it a very different twist that a lot of people can't identify at first tasting.There are a few steps to it but it is worth it.
Nov 20, 2013
on step 2 how do you repeat layer 16 times???? you would need 3 boxes of phyllo and the mixtur would not go that far???? Thank you and kind regards Edward