Lemon-Garlic Lima Beans
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add bay leaves and water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until beans are tender, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add next six ingredients. Stir in drained beans and remaining oil; toss to combine. Sprinkle with additional parsley.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 326 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 16g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 16, 2018
Oh yum! Almost identical as to what my Austrian mom used to make. I love lima beans, even when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing this delicious side dish, hopefully others will try and enjoy them too.
Nov 10, 2017
There being only two of us, I didn't want to make the full recipe for six, so I used a package of frozen lima beans in place of the dried beans. and cut the remainder of the ingredients in half. Absolutely delicious. A nice change to an old favorite.
Nov 8, 2017
Delicious dressing. I loved the lemon-herb combination.