Tart and tempting, this relish is a traditional part of Kathie Theis' holiday menu. "It's pleasant with both poultry and pork," she notes from Monticello, Minnesota. "My husband, children and grandkids like the pairing of fall fruits and the hint of ginger and cinnamon. It tastes just like autumn."
- 1 medium navel orange
- 4 medium pears, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Squeeze juice from the orange; add enough water to measure 1/2 cup. Pour into a saucepan; add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until the cranberries pop and mixture is thickened. Cool. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Cranberry Pear Relish in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p46
Reviews for Cranberry Pear Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review