A homemade wheat dough makes these "pigs in a blanket" stand out from all other varieties. They go great with a cup of soup or are a nice snack by themselves.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 8 hot dogs
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 20x14-in. rectangle; cut into eight 7x5-in. pieces. On each piece of dough, place a slice of cheese, 1 teaspoon ketchup and a hot dog. Fold edges of dough over and press tightly to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 427 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Wiener Wraps in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.