White Cheddar Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) small pasta shells
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Manchego or additional white cheddar cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Add to pasta; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 650 calories, 35g fat (22g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Sep 22, 2019
I would give it 5 stars but I have to agree with other reviews that there is way too much sauce. I think you could cut it in half for a box of pasta. We made with a chipotle pork tenderloin on the grill and some garlic bread (anticipating the sauce). It was delicious!
Sep 9, 2019
This was good, but it was VERY saucy. I made it alongside grilled steak, but it could have used some bread to cut the creaminess of the sauce.
Nov 4, 2018
I was excited to try this macaroni and cheese because I love white cheddar. I think that it was the chipotle powder that wasn't quite my taste. This also had a lot of sauce. Not sure why, as I followed the directions step by step. I might try this again with some of my own modifications.
Oct 17, 2018
I followed initial part of recipe without changes. However, as we often do since it is only the two of us, we cook pasta slightly under, divide into 3 casserole dishes (top it with whatever I’m feeling) and change it from stovetop recipe to Baked. Tonight, I topped with Panko and Parm. (Two for freezer) Creamy, delicious Mac and Cheese! Love the sharpness of the white cheddar!
Jun 30, 2018
I hated this recipe..
Jan 26, 2018
I made this recipe almost as written and it is delicious. The one thing I did differently was to bake it for about 20-25 minutes until the top was bubbly and a little bit browned. I have made it twice now. Delicious!
Jan 10, 2018
I made this recipe as written, except I used 1% milk because that’s what I had. It was easy to make and we loved the flavor. I will definitely be making this recipe again!
Oct 23, 2017
Good recipe. We had it with grilled chicken and a salad. My child that doesn't care for mac n' cheese because it is too cheesy, ate it. Good enough amount to make every one happy in this house.