Refrigerator Garden Pickles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 6 cups sugar
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup celery seed
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 10 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium cucumbers, sliced
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour hot liquid over vegetables; cool. Transfer to jars, if desired; cover tightly. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Aug 29, 2017
These were quick and easy to prepare and have a fresh sweet pickle taste -- a great way to use up some of my garden cucumbers! I made the recipe as directed, except I added several sliced garlic cloves. Everyone loved these, and I will definitely be making them again!
Jun 30, 2015
Very delicious, easy to prepare, and looked beautiful in the jars. I cut the recipe in half, and used a bit less sugar. I let them sit in the fridge for one week, and they were delicious! I'll definitely make them again, but next time I'll omit the 'celery seed' and the 'mustard seed', but I'll use 'pickling spice' instead (since it contains a little more 'pickling' spices, and will add even more flavor to this already delicious recipe.) I'll also add some fresh dill into the jars before closing them.
Jun 15, 2012
This was easy and everyone loved them will make over and over again
May 28, 2012
This is so yummy! Great for eating alone, topping burgers, hot dogs, you name it! One of our church cookbooks has the same recipe in it. I figured the veggies would soak up more of the liquid than it did so we saved the liquid & are going to make this again, since its a lot of sugar. Just re-boil it & immerse veggies again. Next time, we want to add more cucumbers & less of some of the other veggies. Because there's so much liquid, you probably could add more veggies than recipe calls for.
May 24, 2012
i make a very similar pickle with lots of sliced hot peppers, whole garlic to taste. the sweet hot combo is very good
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.