Refrigerator Jalapeno Dill Pickles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 4 dozen pickle spears
- 3 pounds pickling cucumbers (about 12)
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh dill
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canning salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Cut each cucumber lengthwise into four spears. In a very large bowl, combine cucumbers, onion, dill, jalapenos and garlic. In a large saucepan, combine water, vinegar, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir just until salt and sugar are dissolved. Pour over cucumber mixture; cool.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 pickle: 4 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Aug 14, 2019
I made quarter of the recipe and cut the pickles in rounds. Brought them to work and everyone loved them! I'm not a spicy pepper person, so I just ate the onions and cukes and didn't think it was too hot. Great on a sandwich!
Dec 20, 2018
I made three-double batches of this pickle in August. I still have some in the extra refrigerator and are just as good as when i made them. I have what I call my "plastic pickle pail" that I make the pickles in. After the 3 days, I transfer the pickles to other large jars so I will have my pail for the next batch. On the second batch, I adjusted the amount of garlic i used. Just a personal preference. I did not cut the cukes into spears since I pick my cukes daily to harvest them on the small side. I just used whole small cukes. The hardest part was having fresh dill and jalapeno peppers ready at the same time from my garden. Waiting to make these again next summer.
Aug 17, 2015
These were fantastic and so easy to make! I used dried dill weed in place of fresh.
Jun 20, 2015
These were great! My whole family (and friends & neighbors) loved them and they were so simple to make!