Easy Freezer Pickles
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 8 pounds cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- In a large container, combine cucumbers, onion and salt. Let stand for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; let stand for 2-3 hours, stirring often.
- Drain and rinse the cucumber mixture; add sugar mixture and stir well. Pack into 1-pt. freezer containers, leaving 1-in. headspace. Cover and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Thaw before serving.
Aug 13, 2019
These pickles are excellent and so easy. I will be making these again next year
Mar 13, 2018
Loved these pickles when I made them last summer! Can't wait to make another batch this year.
Oct 4, 2016
I tried this recipe about a month ago. Since then, I have made two more batches. The cucumbers keep coming, even now in October. My first batch, I made as is. Second batch I grew bolder because of the success of the first. So, for the second and third batches I added 10 whole garlic cloves and 3 thinly sliced jalapeno peppers (with seeds in tact) and reduced the sugar to 2 cups. They also turned out great. My husband and I love sweet/hot. It did not disappoint. Thank you for this very easy recipe. I even threw in some thinly sliced carrot for color. By the way.....the onions do not turn yellow from the turmeric because you put the turmeric in the sugar/vinegar mixture.
Aug 28, 2016
These are just so good I had to make two batches. I added some coriander and sweet peppers from the garden. Well worth the effort.
Sep 11, 2015
Love these! I made a batch last weekend, and I'm making another. Quick and easy.
Oct 13, 2014
Nice taste and super easy to make. And I am no cook by any measure. I even screwed up these simple directions but still came out tasty. Ate a quart the first night.
Aug 2, 2012
My family LOVES these pickles!
Sep 9, 2011
I used to make Bread n Butter Pickles the old fashioned way. This is so much easier and they taste the same if not better! Very crunchy and flavorful. I will def make again.
Jul 31, 2010
Jul 25, 2009
These pickles are crisp and delicious! I like the flavor of the turmeric and onions.