Whiskey Pineapple Chicken
Everyone in my family loves this recipe and its sweet marinade with ginger, pineapple and a splash of whiskey. Want even more intense flavor? Let the chicken marinate for two full days. Wow! —Jodi Taffel, Altadena, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 2 cups bourbon
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced sweet red pepper
- 1 cup sliced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Whisk together bourbon, pineapple juice, hoisin sauce, ginger, 1 tablespoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt until blended. Place chicken in a shallow dish. Add half of marinade; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate, overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain chicken, discarding the marinade. Grill chicken, covered, on a greased grill rack over medium-high direct heat until a thermometer reads 170°, 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, toss pepper and onion slices in oil and remaining salt and pepper. Grill, turning frequently, until soft, 5-7 minutes. In a small saucepan on the grill, cook reserved marinade over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Chop grilled pepper and onion. Sprinkle over chicken; serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 439 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 152mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as Whiskey Pineapple Chicken in Taste of Home June/July 2017
Sep 20, 2017
Jul 23, 2017
Made this for the 4th of July--I call it "Firecracker Chicken"! It's an explosion of flavor. Love the sauce it makes and it is a nice marinade to make ahead. Only regret there were NO leftovers!