Caribbean Pineapple Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 can (6 ounces) pineapple juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup pineapple juice until smooth. Stir in the mustard, thyme and pepper flakes; set aside. Sprinkle chicken with salt. In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove from the skillet and keep warm.
- Pour remaining pineapple juice into skillet. Stir in green onions and raisins; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir reserved pineapple juice mixture and add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to skillet; heat through. Stir in bananas. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 314 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.
Jun 1, 2011
I made this for my family last night. I REALLY enjoyed it. However, I am also a huge banana fan, and I love meat paired with fruit. My family, accustomed to the meat and potatoes kind of meals, ate it, but did not fall in love. I would love to make this again- just for myself only!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.