Pineapple Chicken Paradise
You'll think you've traveled to the tropics when you bite into this inviting chicken salad, served in an attractive pineapple "boat". Dorothy Anderson of Ottawa, Kansas blends a variety of tastes and textures, including coconut, peanuts, mandarin oranges and green grapes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 fresh pineapples with tops
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup halved green grapes
- Cut each pineapple in half lengthwise, then cut in half lengthwise again, making four shells with part of the leaves. Remove fruit; cut into cubes. Turn pineapple shells cut side down on paper towels to drain; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple cubes, chicken and celery; cover and refrigerate. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney and salt; cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, drain the chicken mixture; toss with mayonnaise mixture and peanuts. Using a slotted spoon, fill pineapple shells. Sprinkle with coconut; top with oranges and grapes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 203 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Pineapple Chicken Paradise in Light & Tasty August/September 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.