Forget the potatoes and rice, and consider this change-of-pace dinner accompaniment. I rely on wholesome barley for this heart-smart dish that complements almost any main course. —Shirley Doyle, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Recommended: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium sweet red or green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute peppers, mushrooms and onions in butter 8-10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth, barley and pepper.
- Cover and bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Barley Bake in Light & Tasty October 2005, p43
Reviews forVegetable Barley Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2010
"Very good and easy to make side dish. Or fill up a bowl for a solo main meantless dish!"