Turkey Pesto Subs
It was time to amp up my usual sandwich rotation. I used pesto with turkey, sweet red pepper and onion to get the crunch and munch factor going. —Rusty Koll, Elmwood, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound turkey breast tenderloins, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 4 hoagie buns, split partway
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat broiler. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey; cook until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Return turkey to pan; stir in pesto. Remove from heat.
- Place buns on a baking sheet, cut side up. Top with turkey mixture and cheese. Broil 2-3 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 579 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Pesto Subs in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.