Sweet Pea Pesto Crostini
I made a healthier spin on my favorite celebrity chef's recipe by using hearty vegetable broth and less cheese. To top crostini, use less broth for a paste-like pesto. For use on pasta, add more broth for a sauce-like consistency. —Amber Massey, Argyle, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 whole wheat French bread demi-baguette (about 6 ounces and 12 in. long)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (about 10 ounces), halved or quartered
- Preheat broiler. Place peas, garlic, vinegar, salt and lemon pepper in a blender or food processor; pulse until well blended. Continue processing while gradually adding oil in a steady stream. Add cheese; pulse just until blended. Add broth; pulse until mixture reaches desired consistency.
- Cut baguette into 20 slices, each 1/2 in. thick. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-5 in. from heat until golden brown, 45-60 seconds per side. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- To assemble crostini, spread each slice with about 1 tablespoon pesto mixture; top with tomato pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 77 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sweet Green Pea Pesto on Whole Wheat Crostini in Taste of Home April/May 2017