Sweet Pea Pesto Crostini
I made a healthier spin on my favorite celebrity chef's recipe by using hearty vegetable broth and less cheese. To top crostini, use less broth for a paste-like pesto. For use on pasta, add more broth for a sauce-like consistency. —Amber Massey, Argyle, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 whole wheat French bread demi-baguette (about 6 ounces and 12 in. long)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (about 10 ounces), halved or quartered
- Preheat broiler. Place peas, garlic, vinegar, salt and lemon pepper in a blender or food processor; pulse until well blended. Continue processing while gradually adding oil in a steady stream. Add cheese; pulse just until blended. Add broth; pulse until mixture reaches desired consistency.
- Cut baguette into 20 slices, each 1/2 in. thick. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-5 in. from heat until golden brown, 45-60 seconds per side. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- To assemble crostini, spread each slice with about 1 tablespoon pesto mixture; top with tomato pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 77 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sweet Green Pea Pesto on Whole Wheat Crostini in Taste of Home April/May 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.