I love tomatoes, and these are healthy and versatile. You can use them in sandwiches, omelets and to top broiled chicken. —Julie Tilney, Downey, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours + cooling
- 20 plum tomatoes (about 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Cut tomatoes into 1/2-in. slices. Brush with oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning and salt.
- Place on racks coated with cooking spray in foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until tomatoes are deep brown around the edges and shriveled. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Bring tomatoes to room temperature before using.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 45 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Slow Roasted Tomatoes in Healthy Cooking August/September 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.