Tomato-Onion Phyllo Pizza
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 14 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 in.)
- 7 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2x9-in. rectangle. Discard scraps.
- Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers 5 times. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.)
- Top with layers of remaining phyllo dough; brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; arrange onion and tomatoes over cheese. Sprinkle with oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° until edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 54 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 8, 2019
excellent- I cut in little squares for appitizers
Dec 19, 2018
Don't be put off by the fact that this uses phyllo. This was surprisingly easy to put together. The flavor was wonderful and the dish was popular! We found it works best with plum tomatoes because they hold their shape the best. You can vary the recipe by using more pungent cheese or by adding toppings (parsley, greens, bacon...)
Jan 22, 2018
Delicious. Next time I'm going to add a cup or so of chopped fresh spinach between the onions and tomatoes.
Aug 20, 2016
Very good and easy. Followed recipe. Made half like recipe other half added sausage on top. Loved them both. Great way to use tomatoes .
Jul 6, 2016
I made this recipe and found it to be wonderful. Very easy
Jul 2, 2016
I made this for the first time last night. I didn't have dried oregano or thyme, but I did have Italian Dried Herbs, which has that in it plus dried basil and dried marjoram. My husband LOVED it! So did I. It was very easy to make, turned out perfect and delicious. This will be one of my favorite recipes from now on!
Apr 8, 2014
Love! I put finely chopped kale between the layers of phyllo! It was fantastic!
Oct 20, 2012
Jan 17, 2011
This is one of my favorite TOH's recipes EVER!
Aug 16, 2010
Have been making this for years from Taste of Home. Since then, I've seem similar versions that were sort of copies, but nothing is better than this one!!! Everyone loves it and it makes a nice big batch.