Veggie Pizza with Herbed Tomato Crust
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small saucepan, heat the water, tomato juice and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Punch dough down; roll into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly.
- Spread with pizza sauce. Top with green pepper, mushrooms, onion, tomato and cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are lightly browned. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 240 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Jan 11, 2015
I only use this recipe for the pizza dough. IT IS AWESOME!
Oct 6, 2011
i have made this pizza 3 times in one week. great pizza
Aug 13, 2010
Wonderful flavor! My family now requests this crust every time. I use my own favorite toppings, and this crust goes well with them all! Instead of measuring the yeast I just use 1 packet, which seems to work very well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.