Garlic-Onion Tomato Pizza
You won't miss the traditional tomato sauce when you bite into a slice of this pizza - it is absolutely delicious! We like it hot or at room temperature. It makes a wonderful appetizer cut into small pieces...or you can use the same topping for bruschetta. -Tammy Thomas, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 slices each)
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 8 large garlic cloves, halved
- 6 to 8 plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise into eighths and seeded
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- Pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over two greased 14-in. pizza pans; set aside. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water; add 4-1/2 cups flour, 4 teaspoons oil and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Press each portion into prepared pans. Prick dough with a fork. Bake at 450° for 4-5 minutes.
- Broil onions and garlic in batches 3-4 in. from the heat until softened and lightly browned. Broil tomato slices for 2 minutes on each side. Finely chop garlic.
- Arrange onions, garlic and tomatoes over crust. Sprinkle with oregano, parsley, pepper and cheeses; drizzle with remaining oil. Bake at 450° for 8-9 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 213 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Garlic-Onion Tomato Pizza in Taste of Home August/September 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.