Fire-Roasted Tomato Minestrone
This vegetarian minestrone soup was created to accommodate special Christmas dinner guests who don't eat meat. It was so good we all enjoyed it. This can also be cooked on the stove for two hours on low simmer. —Donna Marie Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Add tomatoes and beans; pour in broth. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 4-6 hours.
- Stir in pasta; cook, covered, on low until pasta is tender, 30-40 minutes. Stir in spinach before serving. If desired, top with shredded Parmesan.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 175 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 767mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.