Southwestern Pulled Pork
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- Flour tortillas
- Sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the chilies, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, onion, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cut pork in half; place on top of tomato sauce mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork. When cool enough to handle, shred meat using two forks. Return to slow cooker and heat through. Spread on tortillas; top with sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired; roll up.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 6, 2015
Turned out well, tasted the sauce at the end before shredding and made a few adjustments,, will try a different bbq sauce next time. Easy!
Nov 26, 2014
This was delicious! I did pour off most of the sauce, however, and we ate it in fresh baked buns - yum:)
Oct 6, 2014
Great combination of Mexican and BBQ! To make it even quicker to put together, I substituted the spices and green chilies for 8oz of our favorite salsa. This was an absolute hit! So good, there were no leftovers. Spray the inside of your slow cooker to make for easy clean up.
Dec 29, 2013
The whole family loves this! The neighbors came over cause they smelled the deliciousness! Have made many times and will make many more! Didn't change a thing to the recipe.
Nov 4, 2013
Made this recipe for my wife's birthday party. We had it as is with only a little sour cream on tortillas, some had it on buns. 20 out of 20 people at the party gave it a resounding thumbs up. Excellent recipe.
Jul 1, 2012
This was excellent. I did not use the green chilies. Be sure to trim the fat off your pork so that the sauce is not fatty.
Jun 15, 2012
Very good and super easy!
Nov 28, 2011
My family did enjoy this recipe. I did have to add about a teaspoon of season salt and a few shakes of Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning. The tomato, lettuce, sour cream and avocado really send this to a special place on the taste bud scale. Yum-ola! It makes a bunch so I hope it will freeze well. I found the recipe in my Best of Country-Slow Cooker recipe book Vol. 2.
Apr 17, 2011
Didn't like it at all. Tasted like pork chili. A waste of meat.
Sep 20, 2010
I made 2 servings of this for a company get together.. Of course we were all competing to see what everyone loved the most. This is by far the best pulled pork I have ever eaten, everyone agreed! Awesome and easy to make!