Southwestern Pulled Pork Crostini
As a different take on crostini, these apps are great for tailgating and casual parties. —Randy Cartwright, Linden, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 envelopes mesquite marinade mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 32 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Lime wedges, optional
- Place roast in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, marinade mix, sugar and oil until blended; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- For salsa, in a small bowl, combine corn, beans, tomato and jalapeno. Stir in lime juice, oil and seasonings. In a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; cook and stir over low heat until blended.
- For crostini, preheat broiler. Brush bread slices on both sides with oil; place on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; cool slightly. Shred pork with 2 forks. To serve, layer toasts with salsa, pork and cheese. Top with sauce. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 121 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.