Southwest Shredded Pork Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salad dressing of your choice
- Place pork in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix cider, green chilies, garlic, salt, pepper sauce, chili powder, pepper, cumin and oregano; pour over pork. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; discard cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks. Arrange salad greens on a large serving platter. Top with pork, black beans, tomatoes, onion, corn and cheese. Serve with salad dressing.
Freeze option: Place shredded pork in a freezer container; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 233 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 3, 2015
Sounds good. Just wanted to say Hi to author. My Grandparents lived in Ada @ the Callen nursing home.
Mar 26, 2015
My family and I had this last night and we loved it. It wasn't too spicy so even my picky little boys enjoyed it too.