Southwestern Pork Chops
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops(1/2 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, broth, chili powder, oregano, cumin and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, brown pork chops on both sides in remaining oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour tomato mixture over chops. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Using a slotted spoon, serve over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Freeze option: Cool pork chop mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in pork reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 508 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 43g protein.
Sep 26, 2017
DuckyDMost of those ingredients are items found in the average pantry, with the exception of cilantro. I know We will like this and will be making soon!
Sep 25, 2017
Wow! For someone who only had pork chops, black beans and canned tomatoes, that is a very long list of ingredients. Did the grocery fairy leave them while you slept?
Dec 16, 2013
pork chops were tender and moist. perfect for most people . Would serve to guests as is. but for me--more heat.
Jan 13, 2011
These pork chops were really good, lots of flavor, I would definitely make again.