Sourdough Bread Bowl Sandwich
I created this recipe for when my husband and I go to the lake. I don’t like to spend a lot of time hovering over a hot pot or grill, especially in the hot Oklahoma summer months, and this filling sourdough bread bowl sandwich is ready in minutes. For extra flavor, brush melted garlic and herb butter over the top prior to cooking. —Shawna Welsh-Garrison, Owasso, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup honey mustard salad dressing
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 slices smoked provolone cheese
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced deli smoked turkey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Prepare campfire or grill for low heat. Cut a thin slice off top of bread loaf. Hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell (save removed bread for another use). Spread dressing on inside of hollowed loaf and under the top of the bread. Layer with cheddar, ham, provolone and turkey. Replace top. Place on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 24x18 in.). Brush loaf with butter. Fold foil edges over top, crimping to seal.
- Cook over campfire or grill until heated through, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before removing foil. Cut into wedges.
Test Kitchen tips