- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Minced fresh cilantro and lemon wedges
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, lemon juice, cumin and salt until blended. Add water; bring to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Arrange spinach on a serving plate; spoon quinoa over spinach. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lemon wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSmoky Quinoa with Mushrooms
"I make this often! Smoked paprika is a must. We add cubed tofu at the mushroom stage to get some protein in the dish."
"Too much tomato paste and too much paprika. I followed the recipe to a t and it tasted very weird. I won't make it again."