Slow Cooker Chicken Bog
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups uncooked converted rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 rotisserie chicken (about 3 pounds), meat removed and shredded
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Hot sauce
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook until sausage is lightly browned. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in 4 cups broth, rice, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, on low until rice is tender, 4-5 hours. Stir in chicken and remaining broth. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is heated through, about 30 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with green onions. Serve with hot sauce.
- Freeze option: Omitting green onions and hot sauce, freeze cooled meat mixture, juices and rice in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 681 calories, 30g fat (9g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 1728mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 45g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 15, 2018
I have made this recipe many times and it is really good. Easy to fix, makes several meals and is so versatile you can add just about anything. Sometimes I add shrimp because we like shrimp along with the chicken. Yummy