Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut or chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the cream and cooking sherry or water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Blend in soup until smooth; remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover with rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir shredded cheese into remaining sauce; pour over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 412 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 3, 2019
I made this per recipe the first time. I thought it could be better so the second time I changed it up a bit. Substituted 1 can cream of celery soup for the cream of chicken and crushed Stove Top stuffing for the soft bread crumbs. YUM!!
Dec 14, 2017
I cut this in half for just my husband and I and put it all in an 8x8 pan. I really think you could taste and smell the cooking sherry so I would definitely suggest using that over the water. The meal had a different flavor than I expected and we were pleasantly surprised. I do feel it could have done better with a bit more rice. I hate the texture of frozen broccoli so I used fresh that I had steamed. A good meal, but I'm not sure how the leftovers will hold up. 4-star for now, I'll update to 5 if the leftovers are still good.
Oct 1, 2017
This dish was rated very high by my family of 11, which is a hard feat to accomplish in this household. I did make a few changes tho, instead of half n’ half i made my own, and I used Chicken broth instead of Sherry, added more broccoli, doubled the rice and slightly more chicken, and for the bread crumbs I substituted crushed cornbread stuffing cubes…very tasty
May 25, 2017
I really liked it but I did make a few changes. I used fresh broccoli (I cooked it for 2 min in microwave), I used chicken broth in place of sherry or water, and I topped it with a can of french fried onion rings instead of the breadcrumbs. I really loved the onion rings on top. I also used double the rice.
May 10, 2014
This was good, but I think I'll use fresh broccoli next time. Frozen seems to be too stringy. I will make this again!!
Jan 17, 2014
The recipe says LOW carbohydrates, not no carbohydrates. As a diabetic this works great for me.
Jan 6, 2014
You put this as a low carb recipe in a recent email, breadcrumbs and flour not allowed. I bet it tastes awesome but not LC.
Oct 13, 2013
Pretty good recipe I did add some chopped scallions to the sauce for some added flavor. I also seasoned my chicken with ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and some black pepper. Plus Panko bread crumbs for a crispier finish.
Sep 19, 2013
MY FAMILY HAS FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS.
Sep 4, 2013
It sounded somewhat bland so I added 2 Tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard. Yum. 3 stars by itself, 5 w/ the Dijon.