Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut or chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the cream and cooking sherry or water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Blend in soup until smooth; remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover with rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir shredded cheese into remaining sauce; pour over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 412 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Dec 14, 2017
I cut this in half for just my husband and I and put it all in an 8x8 pan. I really think you could taste and smell the cooking sherry so I would definitely suggest using that over the water. The meal had a different flavor than I expected and we were pleasantly surprised. I do feel it could have done better with a bit more rice. I hate the texture of frozen broccoli so I used fresh that I had steamed. A good meal, but I'm not sure how the leftovers will hold up. 4-star for now, I'll update to 5 if the leftovers are still good.
Oct 1, 2017
This dish was rated very high by my family of 11, which is a hard feat to accomplish in this household. I did make a few changes tho, instead of half n’ half i made my own, and I used Chicken broth instead of Sherry, added more broccoli, doubled the rice and slightly more chicken, and for the bread crumbs I substituted crushed cornbread stuffing cubes…very tasty
May 25, 2017
I really liked it but I did make a few changes. I used fresh broccoli (I cooked it for 2 min in microwave), I used chicken broth in place of sherry or water, and I topped it with a can of french fried onion rings instead of the breadcrumbs. I really loved the onion rings on top. I also used double the rice.
May 10, 2014
This was good, but I think I'll use fresh broccoli next time. Frozen seems to be too stringy. I will make this again!!
Jan 17, 2014
The recipe says LOW carbohydrates, not no carbohydrates. As a diabetic this works great for me.
Jan 6, 2014
You put this as a low carb recipe in a recent email, breadcrumbs and flour not allowed. I bet it tastes awesome but not LC.
Oct 13, 2013
Pretty good recipe I did add some chopped scallions to the sauce for some added flavor. I also seasoned my chicken with ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and some black pepper. Plus Panko bread crumbs for a crispier finish.
Sep 19, 2013
MY FAMILY HAS FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS.
Sep 4, 2013
It sounded somewhat bland so I added 2 Tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard. Yum. 3 stars by itself, 5 w/ the Dijon.
May 31, 2010
The taste was okay. The texture of the dish was too heavy initially. The next day's leftovers left me bored and uninterested. I didn't care for this dish and will never make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.