Shrimp & Broccoli Brown Rice Paella
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper and mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, garlic and seasonings; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add shrimp and broccoli; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in peas; heat through. Freeze option: Place cooled paella in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little stock or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 331 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Aug 14, 2017
Great recipe! Didn't change a thing which is unusual for me.Easy. Loved by all.
Jun 22, 2017
This recipe is unlike any that I've ever made. It's an all-in-one meal, easy and very filling! All the fresh veggies with the spices, rice, and shrimp make for a yummy combination.
Jan 30, 2017
I LOVE this recipe. It tastes amazing and it is very satisfying as well. Great healthy dish!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.