Shoofly Chocolate Pie
If you like traditional shoofly pie, the chocolate version is even better! I sometimes serve it with vanilla ice cream, but it’s just as good on its own.—Gwen Brounce Widdowson, Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate or cast-iron skillet with crust. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Sprinkle chocolate chips into crust; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Add the baking soda, water, egg and molasses to remaining crumb mixture and mix well. Pour over chips. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Let stand on a wire rack for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.