Shoofly Chocolate Pie
If you like traditional shoofly pie, the chocolate version is even better! I sometimes serve it with vanilla ice cream, but it’s just as good on its own.—Gwen Brounce Widdowson, Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate or cast iron skillet with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Sprinkle chocolate chips into shell; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Add the baking soda, water, egg and molasses to remaining crumb mixture and mix well. Pour over chips. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 526 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Shoofly Pie in Country December/January 2008