Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted and tortellini are tender. Serve with cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled soup in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 203 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Dec 1, 2019
Excellent, hearty, and easy to make. I added a "dash" of red peppers as directed and it was enough that I will be a bit lighter on my dash next time, it doesn't take much to flavor the soup. Obviously, that is a matter of taste. Definitely one I will make again.
Nov 25, 2019
Pure comfort food, purely perfection. I chose all fresh organic ingredients and used spicy chicken sausage. I seved this soup with some warm buttered Italian bread.
Nov 24, 2019
Wonderful Soup very tasty
Nov 20, 2019
WE LOVE THIS SOUP I HAVE MADE THIS PLENTY OF TIMES
Nov 12, 2019
Simple, easy and fabulous flavor!!! I made it per the recipe and wouldn't change a thing. It was hearty and flavorful - could not stop eating it! Shared with a friend - will put this in the favorites book!! Serving suggestion - good warm crusty bread with roasted garlic and a glass of red wine!!!!
Oct 27, 2019
Simple and quick and very tasty. I would use regular chicken broth instead of reduced sodium. It was good using the reduced sodium broth but just a little better after I added some salt.
Oct 25, 2019
Husband and I love this recipe. Easy to make!
Oct 20, 2019
I love this! It's tasty and easy. Just right for a light meal.
Oct 14, 2019
Absolutely love this! It was also actually easy to make. No hidden steps in between the other steps to prepare food for cooking. Used pre-chopped container of onion, and pre-minced garlic to make this even faster with no chopping. Made exactly per recipe (using sweet italian sausage) -- no swapping out water for more chicken broth, and it was perfect. If I had made that swap, as some readers did, it would have been too potent for our taste. Recipe perfect as is.
Sep 30, 2019
Great recipe that makes a delicious meal, and will be on repeat this fall and winter. Easy skill level and quick. Per other reviews, I used all chicken broth in place of water and added (1) 15 oz can great northern beans. I had a 16 oz package of tortellini and used it all, the liquid was sufficient for that amount and it makes a heartier portion. It is perfect as is but next time I am going to add a parmesan rind for extra rustic taste.