Christmas Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 9 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta. Cook until crisp. Add chopped onions; cook 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add chicken broth and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture. Stir in crushed tomatoes; simmer for 5 minutes longer. Add spinach; cook until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 28, 2018
I've made this so many times I can't count. Its yummy as is!
Dec 30, 2014
A great soup recipe: I did make a few changes simply to utilize what I had on hand. Instead of chicken broth, I used beef broth and instead of cheese tortellini I used frozen beef ravioli. I also used a quart of our home-canned tomatoes rather than the 28-ounce can the recipe called for. My version turned out delicious and we enjoyed it very much!
Sep 11, 2014
I have made this so many times! A great family dinner!
Feb 6, 2014
One of my favorite TOH recipes.
Jan 30, 2013
Very good! I made it without the meat and substituted vegetable broth and it was excellent. This is definitely a keeper!
Dec 16, 2012
Adding the shaved asiago on top is the perfect touch!
Dec 14, 2012
Everyone loved this recipe so much last year I have to make it again this Christmas!!
Mar 18, 2012
This is my go-to soup recipe for the work week! Absolutely love it!
Dec 3, 2011
My husband is on the fussy side and old dutchman, but I made this for him. And he thought it was great, he loved it. Will defiantly make again.
Jun 20, 2011
I've made this so many times I lost count, it's so excellent!!