- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small head red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute onion and apple until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forRed Cabbage with Apple
"My husband and I both loved this with the easy Sauerbraten and Crumb-Coated Spaetzle. It was not really sweet at all, but the flavors all went together nicely."
"Did not really care for this dish. Guess I was expecting a sweeter taste and I doubled the sugar, too. Bacon saved the dish for me. I only used 1/2 head of cabbage because I harvested a head right from my garden and it was rather large. Will go back to my other red cabbage recipe."
"Very good!! My husband didn't care for it but then there was just a bit more for me!! I am hosting the Thanksgiving family gathering this year and will opt to include this dish as one of the sides!! I come home well after the dinner hour some work days and have to admit I just warm some up and make a meal of it!!"
"This became a family favorite from day one!"
"Very quick to make, I even ate it cold and it was delicious!"