Quick Creamed Spinach
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in half-and-half until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add the cream cheese, salt, nutmeg and pepper, stirring until cream cheese is melted. Stir in spinach and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; heat through. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 131 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 19, 2019
The mobile version doesn't include the Parmesan cheese in the ingredients list. The list ends with the spinach. Because of this, when I went to make the recipe, I saw at the end of the instructions I needed Parmesan - which I neglected to purchase since it wasn't on the ingredients list. I pulled this page up on my PC and it lists the Parmesan, but checking again, even when expanding the full recipe on my phone, it does not include the Parmesan. Because of this, I have ALMOST everything I need to make creamed spinach, and now I can't make it because I have no way to the store to get this one item.
Feb 25, 2018
I tripled this recipe and used thawed frozen spinach, squeezed dry. After reading the reviews from other TOH creamed spinach recipes, I added chopped mushrooms to the other ingredients. After sprinkling on the remaining Parmesan cheese, I sprinkled some Panko bread crumbs onto the top. I made this ahead and reheated it in a 350? oven until it was hot and bubbly. Fantastic!!!
Dec 26, 2014
My husband has a garlic allergy so I left that out. It was still delicious.
Apr 17, 2014
This was very good and so easy to make. The leftovers the next day were even better. I'll be making this again since I love creamed spinach. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Dec 17, 2010
This was really good and easy to make, my kids would like me to make this as part of our Christmas Dinner - Wonderful!
Jan 12, 2009
This was delicious. I even got my 2 year old to take a few bites. I'll be making it again.