Quick Creamed Carrots
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, onion, basil, seasoned salt and pepper until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain carrots and transfer to a serving bowl. Add sauce and stir to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 163 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 27, 2014
Turned out very good, even when I cut back on the seasoning salt and used fat free milk instead of evaporated to make it more low cal and healthy. I would make this again!
Nov 18, 2013
Apr 12, 2013
We tried this recipe tonight for our family which includes two toddlers--one of which refuses to eat his vegetables. Not only did he eat these creamed carrots--he was shoveling them in his mouth! I may have to make the sauce for his veggies from now on. :) The rest of us also enjoyed this new twist on carrots. We substituted whole milk with a little melted butter for the evaporated milk, and it was still delicious!
Sep 9, 2011
I love this recipe! Its easy, quick, and gives great flavor to the carrots. It adds personality to the carrots and goes great with most meats, potatoes, rice ect.