Creamed Spinach & Pearl Onions
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (14.4 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 13 cups)
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add pearl onions; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Add spinach; cook, covered, until spinach is wilted, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 307 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 29, 2019
Simple but elegant!! Sooooo YUMMY!! A keeper for sure!
Nov 20, 2018
I made it using the roux recipe from Aunt Jane's jar, but increased the parmesan to 1/2 cup as in this recipe. Outstanding.
Oct 29, 2015
This recipe is so good. The only change I made was to use chopped onions instead of pearl. I will make this again and again. It is very juicy, so could probably be used over pasta or rice or noodles.
Oct 1, 2015
I tried this recipe and made my adjustments by using a 2-cup portion of frozen spinach, 1 large chopped onion, 3/4 to 1 cup 2% milk , 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 cup margarine OR 1/8 cup each butter and margarine. I heated the butter in a medium skillet; added chopped onion. I cooked 8 minutes until tender. I stirred in milk. I cooked the spinach in my microwave oven for at least 3 minutes with2 Tbsp. water, then stirred into onion mixture. This is a really tasty side dish! Thank you for sharing with Taste of Home! delowenstein