Holiday Creamed Spinach
My mother made a variety of spinach dishes when I was growing up. This rich, delicious creamed version is the only one that stayed with me through the years.—Edie DeSpain, Logan, Utah
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes12 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 4 packages (10 ounces each) fresh spinach, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place a fourth of the spinach in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, 3-4 minutes or just until spinach is wilted. Transfer to a colander; drain. Repeat with remaining spinach.
- When spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze dry. Coarsely chop spinach.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour, salt and white pepper until blended; gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 129 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Creamed Spinach in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.