Classic Creamed Spinach
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook spinach in oil for 3 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a cutting board; chop. Melt butter in the Dutch oven. Add onion; saute for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg until combined. Gradually whisk in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chopped spinach. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 318 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 11, 2016
Easy and delicious. I made this when a recipe called for a package of frozen creamed spinach and my grocery store was out. This was easy and had a lot more and fresher flavor. I also like that it called for milk, as I always have that on hand.
Feb 10, 2015
Super decadent...maybe because I for whatever reason used 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, a bit of cream cheese and a tad of cracked black pepper just because I love it...not that it isn't fabulous just the way it is!
Oct 3, 2014
So simple and delicious, I'll be making this often.
Dec 8, 2013
This tasted delicious and was very easy to prepare. I modified it just a little. Added a pinch of cinnamon, decreased flour to 1 Tbsp, decreased butter to 3 Tbsp. added 2 oz cream cheese, decreased milk to 1-1/4
Dec 5, 2013
Have been looking for spinach recipes & came across this one. This recipe was great & had a great flavor to it! I decreased the amount of butter & used fresh spinach.
Oct 16, 2013
Easy, comfort food. added a bit more nutmeg to taste and garlic at the same time I added the onions. I used frozen spinach for convenience.
Mar 31, 2013
Very good recipe. Great way to eat spinach.
Feb 9, 2013
This recipe is delicious, and it was easy to prepare. The whole family ate it up.
Jan 1, 2013
Forgot to click stars...duh
Jan 1, 2013
It was quick, used fresh spinachand tasty. The only thing, even though I used the nutmeg, I couldn't taste a big difference.