Creamed Spinach with Parmesan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 packages (9 ounces each) fresh spinach, torn
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In four batches, place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a large bowl; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese. Drain spinach; add sauce and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 74 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 5, 2016
I doubled the sauce recipe because it did not make much. This was a very mild flavored spinach recipe. I gave it three stars simply because I felt that I needed to doctor it up a lot. A good basic recipe to start with, but I felt that it needed more. It did pair nicely with the Lime Cilantro Tilapia recipe from this site.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.