Creamed Fresh Spinach
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 packages (9 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Place spinach in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and steam just until wilted, about 4 minutes. Drain; chop and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the onion, salt and pepper. Fold in spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 191 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 7, 2013
This was great I had friends over for a "steakhouse " dinner with wedge salad , steak,baked potato,and this creamed spinach. Wonderful,cream spinach in the classic style. If you love creamed spinach, you'll love this version!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.