Creamed Fresh Spinach
This flavorful no-frills side dish is a great way to incorporate the nutritious leafy greens into a meal. My mom always included creamed spinach or carrots on our holiday menu. -Rosemarie Forcum White Stone, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 packages (9 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Place spinach in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and steam just until wilted, about 4 minutes. Drain; chop and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the onion, salt and pepper. Fold in spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 191 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 7, 2013
This was great I had friends over for a "steakhouse " dinner with wedge salad , steak,baked potato,and this creamed spinach. Wonderful,cream spinach in the classic style. If you love creamed spinach, you'll love this version!