Pretzels with Cheese Dip
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Coarse salt
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 12 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 15-in. long strip; twist into a pretzel shape.
- In a large non-aluminum stockpot, bring water to a boil; add baking soda. Drop two pretzels into water; boil for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain. Place on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat for each pretzel.
- Bake at 475° for 10-12 minutes. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool.
- For dip, combine cheeses in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk. Serve pretzels with cheese dip and mustard.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 214 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 994mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 13, 2014
Love these!! They are great tasting and easy and my kids love them. I can't wait to try the tip about the pretzel rolls from aboyle03!!!
Jan 1, 2013
These were delicious, they taste better than the kind you buy at the mall. Very easy to make.Update - I separated the dough into 8 pieces, patted into flattened balls and made pretzel rolls. I boiled in the baking soda water for 1 minute and baked until golden, about 13-15 minutes. They are a nice change from regular rolls
Feb 7, 2012
These were amazing! My whole family gobbled them up in a day! They taste like the read deal pretzels, not anything like the ones you can buy. Perfect for every occasion, I would definitely make again!
Aug 27, 2009
Thanks gaylerene... I was partial to no Baking soda myself going to give it a try with out
Jan 11, 2008
I don't care for the soda flavor that remains on the pretzels so I boiled these in plain water and got a great result.