Mother Lode Pretzels
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing
- 1 package (10 ounces) pretzel rods
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- With a sharp knife, cut pretzel rods in half; set aside. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with milk. In a large shallow bowl, combine the chips, toffee bits and walnuts.
- Pour caramel mixture into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Dip the cut end of each pretzel piece two-thirds of the way into caramel mixture (reheat in microwave if mixture becomes too thick for dipping). Allow excess caramel to drip off, then roll pretzels in the chip mixture. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 114 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 8, 2015
I made these and took them to a party. Everyone loved them and wanted the recipe. They are so easy to make.
Nov 15, 2014
These are great! As previous people commented, you can make with various goodies. However, one word of caution. I made them for tailgate at the Penn State game today. Temp was only in the 30s. When we tried to bite into them, the caramel was hard enough to nearly break a tooth! It never dawned on me to consider that! We ate them when we came home and had them in the warm kitchen for a while. Then everyone loved them!
Sep 20, 2014
These were great, I made them as part of the favors for a bridal shower Everyone loved them. !
Sep 6, 2014
This recipe was amazing! I made these as a tailgating party dessert and people gobbled them up.
Dec 17, 2011
This is a holiday staple in my home ever since I tried the recipe a few years back. I like to use mini-choc chips, cinnamon chips, and toffee bits and I usually omit the nuts and literally everyone raves about them, they are one of the staples of my holiday treat bags
Nov 28, 2011
I started making this 2 years ago; for the holidays. Now when I dont bring them,the family is left empty. Its just so much to make and takes time due to caramel thickening up. But when there's a family of 74 its a lot to make. I admit there excellent.
Oct 5, 2011
Made for after the church Christmas program. Was super easy and fast. Got lots of compliments and it tasted great!
Aug 31, 2011
Great sweet and salty snack. Made these for my sister's birthday- Halloween and everybody loved them!!!
Feb 13, 2011
These were so good. Love the salty/sweet of the pretzel and carmel. The carmel is alot more forgiving that working with just plain chocoalte. And it adds great chewiness. The topping possibilities are endless. I added Christmas spinkles and a drizzle of white chocolate. I made these for second grade Christmas take-home gifts. But the kids ate them right up, before even taking them home. Not sure if I would go through the hassle of making them for kids again. I don't think they appreciated the time and effort that went into them!! I found little pretzel bags at JoAnn's in the cake section. They turned out really cute. I think I will make them for my bunco girls.
Dec 22, 2010
Yummo- who doesnt like covered pretzels. I threw some M and Ms in mine. So festive!