Easy Soft Pretzel
These pretzels can be made salty or sweet; your choice.—Taste of Home Cooking School
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon softened butter or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Coarse sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt, water and butter; beat until smooth (mixture will be slightly sticky). Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons water if dough is dry. Cover and let rest in a warm place 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly greased surface; divide into six pieces. Roll each piece into a 24-in. rope. For topping, combine water, sugar and baking soda in a shallow bowl. Shape each rope into a pretzel and dip into the baking solution. Sprinkle pretzels with coarse salt or coarse sugar.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Dip in cinnamon-sugar, if desired. Serve warm.
Originally published as Soft Pretzels in Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.