Butternut squash teams up with sliced potatoes and flavorful pork sausage in this hearty autumn casserole. The rich, creamy cheese sauce adds to the down-home taste. -Peggy Burdick, Burlington, Michigan
Recommended: 65 of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the potatoes, squash and water. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place half of the mixture in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Crumble sausage over potato mixture. Top with onion and remaining potato mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup cream until smooth; stir in remaining cream. Pour over potato mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Potato Squash Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 2003, p41
Reviews forPotato Squash Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 24, 2011
"Really good...the only thing I changed was to use fat free half and half instead of the heavy cream. Yummy!"